Stewardship Assistant (temporary)
- Assist with restoration, including seed collecting, native plantings, cultivation in greenhouse, and invasive species control primarily at the Nygren Wetland Preserve near Rockton, Illinois.
- Additional tasks may include aquatic turtle monitoring, trail camera monitoring, GPS/GIS of invasive plants and/or locations of sources of native plant seed, among others.
- Work with volunteers on natural resource management projects at NLI properties.
- Conduct inventories and develop database(s) of flora and fauna at the Nygren Wetland Preserve.
- Maintain monthly activity records detailing accomplishments.
- Prepare for public events hosted by the Natural Land Institute at the Nygren Wetland Preserve.
- Knowledge of Illinois flora and fauna, especially in northwestern Illinois
- Candidate should hold or be seeking a degree in natural resources management or a closely related field, but significant field experiences may be substituted.
- Ability to physically implement natural resource management tasks
- Ability to use equipment needed in restoration activities, including tractors, UTVs, pumps, chainsaws, clearing saws, etc.
- Ability to develop and maintain relationships with volunteers
- Knowledge of word processing and database programs
- Knowledge of ESRI ArcGIS and GPS receivers a plus
Hours: This is a temporary position, 40 hours per week, for 12 weeks (480 hours total). The schedule and start/end dates are somewhat flexible but the position will not extend beyond 480 hours. May be required to work occasional weekends.Compensation: $12/hr., no benefits
To apply: Please send completed resume, cover letter, and three references to Kevin Rohling, Director of Stewardship at email@example.com no later than March 17.